Office Toilet Manners- When Will We Learn?
We spend most of our living hours at office and still do not follow basic toilets habits and manners. In simple words, it is shameful and more importantly ill-concern for personal hygiene for fellow office colleagues. And the fact that office toilets are in use throughout the day, makes it critical that everyone using it must follow some basic hygiene habits and bathroom etiquettes:
- Cleaning the bathroom after use: Why should other person use the washroom that has been dirtied by another person in the first place! Men specially have a problem in terms of “lack of accuracy” and if their “aim” was not correct, then least they can do it to clean up with water and dry it with tissue paper after the use. For those who feel this is a “dirty” job, it will be nice to remember that colleagues following them in using the toilet will be using the same “dirty” toilet and even catch infection! Those who do not wish to do this “dirty” clean-up job should be careful that they always “aim” correctly! In very direct language, please do not sprinkle on the seat, clean it if you do and always remember to lift the lid before leaving the toilet.
- Flushing after use: NEVER forget to flush the toilet after the use; it is not other person’s job to do this for you.
- Toilet paper and soap: These two are the most used items in any office washroom. What you do after using them also determines how clean the office toilet is! One should only use as much toilet roll as one needs and ensure that the used paper is properly disposed into dustbin. There is nothing more disgusting then used toilet paper roll lying around in the office toilet. Talking of soap, ensure to let the tap run for 2-5 seconds extra so that wash basin is cleaned of soap. Ensure to clean the wash basin after you have used it.
- Office bathroom – make-up and hair-styling: There is no doubt that this is one of the places in the office that offers privacy for make-up – Hair and face. But do ensure to clean all the hair and remains of make-up lying around the bathroom before you leave it
- Office toilet maintenance – If you find that basic toilet necessities like paper roll and soap are finished or lights are not working or toilet is dirty, it becomes your duty to inform the maintenance or office boys. They will ensure supplies are immediately provided. Supplies also include a good sized dustbin and bathroom freshener like “odonil”
- Limited time use please- Some people use office toilets for their private phone calls and sometime read to relieve stress! Well you come to office for work. Limit the use to 2-3 minutes, especially in the evening hours when everybody is in a hurry to leave for home!
- Office bathrooms are not gossip rooms: Bigger offices have bigger bathrooms and over a period of time, they become favourite gossip place for some of us. Well, not only is it not right, you run the risk of others hearing your gossip! And where it is single use bathrooms, at times colleague’s gossip with each other across the door, with one inside and other outside. Well, there has to be a difference between office and home and doing such actions goes against the basic office etiquettes.
- Wash your hands after use – Remember that you are in office and not at your home. Maintaining personal hygiene is not only for self but also important for other colleagues.
Here is “All the Very Best” for a nice, hygienically clean, nice smelling office bathroom and its hygiene conscious users.