As it is known by now Canada has made certain amendments to the nation’s much talked about Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) even as these modifications became effective from July 31, 2013 onwards. The introduction of a $275 processing charge–for every submission filed for a ‘Labour Market Opinion’ (LMO) made by a national recruiter/firm–is the main improvement.
In case a Canadian recruiter/company wants to hire an overseas employee, it ought to first gain a ‘positive LMO’ even as the same should clearly reveal that there is a dearth of the qualified nationals who could do the work, and that an overseas employee is so needed. Ottawa proclaimed that it wanted to make modifications to the TFWP in the month of April this year; post it was alleged in on the TV that the TFWP was being blatantly exploited, was put on air.
Lower paid Indian workers substitute Canadian personnel
The programme claimed that the Maple Leaf Country’s national bank, together with an outsourcing company from India, was utilizing the TFWP to swap permanent workers of Canada with provisional manpower from India. The said programme claimed that 30-plus national employees had been made surplus even as they were left with no options except to offer training to their substitutes—the alleged lower paid, untrained personnel from India, who had arrived in the country with provisional work permits.
No exploitation of the arrangement
Paradoxically, afterwards there were hints that the said employees from India were not actually in the nation, via the TFWP, but that they had arrived through the Intra Company Transfer Scheme. In case so, the modifications made will not impact the practice of the firms outsourcing office functions of Canada to the outsourcing organizations from India, and a comparable state of affairs may occur at another bureau in spite of the given improvements.
Charge brought-in to meet processing LMOs expenses
Allegedly, a cabinet rearrangement took place somewhere in mid-July even as Jason Kenney, the then immigration minister, was shifted from his place. Presently, he holds the portfolio of the employment minister. Kenney informed the media sometime before this August wherein he allegedly furnished details about the modifications, which, as mentioned before, became effective from July 31 onwards. He reportedly said that the fresh processing charge would guarantee that taxpayers do not have to cough-up the fee of processing employer submissions for temporary overseas manpower any more.
The opposition and detractors, however, were not satisfied even as it was claimed that the restructurings to the arrangement do little to make certain that recruiters/firms are stopped from misusing the structure.
Key improvements made public by former immigration minister