Psychologists are running a nation-wide high demand in Canada. Psychology is a versatile subject where psychologists study behavioral problems as well as cognitive disorders. They counsel clients as well as engage in research.
Provinces across Canada are facing an acute shortage of these professionals:
British Columbia: Areas like Lower Mainland and Vancouver seem very promising. Professionals specializing in Neuropsychology and Forensic psychology are greatly desired by employers. Those who wish to privately practice can also do really well.
Saskatchewan: The prospects in this province are good.
Ontario: The prospects in this province are very tempting. The ones having doctoral degree in Health and Social Psychology can do really well here. There are great opportunities for research activities here.
Nova Scotia: Areas like Halifax and Cape Breton are hubs for Psychologists in this province.
Prince Edward Island: There is a critical shortage of Psychologists in this province. More than half of the vacancies for Psychologists are waiting to be filled.
The various specializations under psychologists
- Clinical Psychologist
- Experimental Psychologist
- Psychological associate
- Research Psychologist
The minimum requirements to be a Psychologist in Canada
- Doctorate in Psychology is required to be designated as a “Psychologist” in Ontario, British Columbia, Manitoba.
- Master’s in Psychology is required to be designated as “Psychologist” in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nunavut and other North West territories
- Membership in professional associations is a must in some provinces
- Successful completion of written Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) is a must in certain provinces
- Registration with a provincial regulatory body is a must
- Supervised practical experience is a must before you practice
As Psychologists you can work here:
- Correctional facilities
- Rehabilitation centers
- Community service organizations
- Private and government research agencies
- Mental health facilities
Or you can choose to
- Privately practice
The compensation for psychologists in Canada
You can earn up to CDN$51 on an hourly basis as a Psychologist in Canada. So what are you waiting for? Fill up our free online assessment form now!
At Abhinav, our ever increasing clientele is not only the evidence of our name in the business but the direct proportionality of the hard work that we put in each client. We look forward to having you soon!!