Let’s face it. Gaining entry into USA as an immigrant is a tough process. But there are some EU countries (including Bulgaria) with which USA has a unique alliance. This is the E-2 Investor Visa Program, which, in a nutshell, buys you an entry into the USA without actually immigrating. India doesn’t feature in the list of these countries so if your eventual destination is USA, first get entry into Bulgaria (because their immigration program is one of the simplest in the EU) and then move on to USA for a happy, retired life.
Briefly, the E-2 Investor Visa is given to those who will invest in a business in the USA and run a profit making enterprise, which will give employment to a few people.
Who is the best candidate for the E2 Investor Visa?
– People who want to purchase a franchise or small business in the USA
– People who want to retire in America.
– Real estate investors
What are the advantages of the E2 visa?
– No minimum investment as long as your investment is enough to establish, develop and operate a profitable business that meets the criteria above.
– Your spouse will be issued an E-2 dependent visa which can allow her/him to apply for work authorization based on their E-2 dependent visa.
– Children under 21 will also be issued an E-2 dependent visa and are be able to attend school of their choice (in many states, children can qualify for in-state tuition at State Universities up until they reach the age of 21), but do note, they will NOT qualify for a work visa. After the age of 21, they will have to obtain their own visa.
– As the E-2 visa holder you have the choice of living outside of the United States for unsettled amount of time and can re-enter the country for as long as your visa is valid.
What sort of business and how much money is needed for investment?
You can invest in virtually anything or trade in virtually anything.
– While some investments of less than $100,000 are approved, its safe to say that the investment capital and reserves should total at least $100,000 – $200,000 and you must be prepared to demonstrate that the business will employ at least 3 – 4 persons.
– The E-2 visa lasts as long as the holder maintains the investment
– Investors developing their own business must come to the US as business visitors to get the business started before applying for the Treaty Investor visa.
– E-2 visas are considered nonimmigrant visas. However, once an investor is able to qualify and enter into the U.S. in this category, they are able to look for other opportunities and to apply for green cards and eventually citizenship.
More about the E2 Visa
– The E-2 visa is typically issued for two or five year periods.
– The E-2 can be renewed indefinitely as long as the investor is running the business and it generates “more than enough revenue” to support the investor’s family.
– The E-2 visa also covers the investor’s spouse and children under age 21.
Moving to Bulgaria comes with a lot of advantages and a smooth move into the USA is one of those. If you want to move to Bulgaria, let us help you with the process. Get in touch with our representatives here who can guide you further.
(This blog post is a part of Abhinav’s special series “Bulgaria Calling”, compiled by Abhinav’s Research Team.)