Information on professions like dental hygienists and dental therapists may help a lot more people in choosing these professions as their future career. For, these are some of those occupations related to dentistry or the profession of dentists, which is a popular profession in today’s world.
Dental hygienists and dental therapists are the professionals that work in conjunction with dentists in some medical or clinical set up. The dental hygienist is responsible for utilizing techniques in preventing various oral diseases. He also provides the information in relation to the prevention of diseases and disorders to teeth and mouth. In order words, dental hygienists work for dentists.
Dental therapists have limited job to do in relation to the prevention of diseases and providing treatments for diseases, but they are an integral part of the practice a dentist carries out. Below are some of the duties attached to the professions of dental hygienists and dental therapists:
- A dental hygienist is required to perform the initial dental assessment of patients.
- He then consults the doctor about the patients’ care.
- He provides patients with the information on how to maintain dental hygiene.
- He cleans the gums to prevent diseases.
- He takes measures to prevent tooth and root decay.
- He performs fluoride treatment.
- He is responsible for taking X-rays of teeth and roots.
- He is entitled to carry out orthodontic procedures, when instructed.
- He also oversees the dental assistants.
- A dental therapist is responsible for performing dental assessment.
- He is the one who takes dental impressions.
- He also takes X-rays.
- He removes deposits from teeth, thereby preventing tooth decay.
- He is responsible for performing fluoride treatment.
- He educates patients about oral hygiene.
- He oversees dental assistants as well.
These are some of the duties that dental hygienists and dental therapists are required to perform in Canada. As a matter of facts, some of the duties are common in many countries. The only thing that makes difference between Canada and many developing countries, such as India is that the former is a bank of opportunities. To know more about the country and its dentistry industry, write to us at email@example.com!