Illegal immigration has always been a matter of debate with the lawmakers as well as with the governments of different nations. If analyzed closely, illegal immigrants are only those who are in search of better opportunities and seeking better standards of living. They are those who are trying to forego autocracy, unemployment and poor living conditions in their country of origin. It is agreed that in the process they have broken the law and thus are facing tough challenges.
For instance, currently there are around 11 million undocumented immigrants in the United States. According to the statistics collected from the Pew Hispanic Centre, around fifty six percent of undocumented residents in the United States are from Mexico. They cater to the thousands of employers as well as the farmers in the United States with the low skilled work force.
Here, it has to be considered that just like any other issue; there are pros and cons attached here as well. Some of the positive aspects include the following:
- The economy is aided in the form of acquiring workers at lower wages.
- Better standards of life for the illegal migrants.
- Emergence of a new section of consumers who are in search of goods and services.
- It costs less for the farmers to grow and harvest crops.
- Sales taxes are collected from all the illegal migrants.
- Those residents who are not legally residing and own property are supposed to pay real estate taxes as well.
- Illegal migrants tend to occupy those areas which are usually not preferred by the local residents to rent property.
- Commissions are generated for brokers and agents when property is bought by the illegal migrants.
- They add to the profits made out of mortgage loans.
- Interests and dividends are generated for the bankers every time a new bank account is opened by an illegal immigrant.
- Profit margins are contributed on the buying of auto insurance.
Despite the above mentioned pros, laws have still been broken for which these immigrants are accountable and could be charged under punishable crimes. These lead to the negative aspects which include the following:
- The tax resources are deeply affected which results in costing more to the local taxpayers.
- The task of prosecution and bringing those to justice who break the law becomes very tedious.
- A contrast develops between those who are residing legally and the illegal ones.
- Threat to life is possible while crossing the borders of one’s nation.
- An illegal migrant encourages his family and friends to come as well which in turn increases the numbers.
- The demand for cheap labor and low wages continues to increase.
- Effect on the local working and middle class population.
- A racket of producing fake documents is constantly on.
- This leads to a lack of balance in the quotas set for immigration purposes.
- Millions of US dollars are sent to Mexico.
- Many fraudulent practices occur in the process.
Illegal immigration affects the economy of a nation. Additional resources are invested to deal with the problem. This in turn affects the local population who are left out to illegal immigrants for lower wages and poor working conditions.
Above all, the issue of illegal immigration is a highly complex one but it cannot be considered as something which cannot be solved. As a start, the governments of various nations could start with levying heavy fines on employers who hire illegal migrants. With this are the efficient system and timely checks at the border which are of key importance. But it has to be remembered that compassion and justice must go hand in hand here.