Naturalization is a process which an alien (foreign applicants or international applicants) goes through in order to obtain citizenship or nationality of the US. It is essential to fulfill the mandatory requirements in order to acquire the citizenship.
Not every applicant is eligible enough to get a visa. Let us consider some of the generalized facets required to go through the process of Naturalization. Rest, the requirements depends from one case to another. Have a look:
- The applicant must be aged 18 or above in order to qualify the age requirement. If you are under the mentioned age, you must go for the regulations highlighted for Naturalized Citizen’s children.
- In order to get the US Citizenship, the applicant must hold a legal Permanent Residence Status. Without a Green Card, you cannot clear the eligibility to obtain citizenship.
- It is essential that the applicant must be physically present for a minimum of five years as a PR in the US. Out of the mentioned period, a presence of at least 30 months is mandatory, with no single absence of more than twelve months out of the five years.
- If the applicant has been away on a visit outside the US premises for more than 6 months, it is essential that he proves that he never intend to leave residency in the US.
- The applicant must have proficiency in the English language.
- Character: The applicant needs to prove that he has been a person of good character, with no criminal record or indulgence in any offensive activity. This includes your life, before you came to the US.
- You must agree that you will follow the US Constitution.
There are other requirements like clearance of Naturalization exam, taking the Oath of Allegiance, and more. Consult an Immigration guide for more info on this.