The occupation of heavy-duty mechanics is one of the new occupations that have been added to the new list of 29 occupations brought out by the Canadian government for the Federal Skilled Worker program. A heavy-duty equipment mechanic caters to repairing, adjusting, overhauling and maintaining heavy-duty equipment which is used in transportation, oil and gas, construction, landscaping, forestry and so on. They are usually employed by firms owning and operating heavy equipment, rental and service establishments, urban transit systems and so on.
- The applicant must have completed a three to five year apprenticeship program or should have a bachelor’s degree or a diploma in a related subject.
- An applicant must have the relevant work experience of at least one year.
- Overall, a person must have experience of around 2-4 years; actual number of years of experience to apply under this occupation is dependent on many factors such as whether the applicant is married and his English language skills.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Repairing or replacing parts that are defective as well as adjusting equipment.
- Finding out if there is any form of malfunctioning or faults with the help of computerized and other equipment used for testing purposes.
- They might have to do repairing work on heavy trucks.
- Evaluating all the cranes, bulldozers and other related heavy equipment for its performance. With this, inspecting the same for the detection of any faults or malfunctioning.
- These mechanics have the option of specializing in any specific kind of machinery like power shift transmissions, hydraulics or electronics, combines or tracked vehicles and so on.
Apart from the above, there are other similar duties as well as which the mechanic is expected to perform. If you are a heavy-duty equipment mechanic intending to migrate to Canada, write to us at [email protected] to get started with your immigration process ASAP.