It has come to light that the demand of trained Biomedical Engineers is presently high in Australia and they are wanted under the ANZSCO 233913. The profession is mentioned on these occupation skills lists, namely, Skilled Occupations List (SOL), RSMS Occupations List, Labour Market Testing Required for 457 List, and Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List.
What is Biomedical Engineering?
It is one of the major applications of engineering that designs concepts for both Medicine and Biology for healthcare purposes. It further decreases the gap between Engineering and Medicine. Biomedical Engineering basically combines the designs and problem solving skills of Engineering along with Medical and Biological Science to advance healthcare treatment that includes, among others, monitoring, diagnosis, and therapy even as the practitioners are known as Biomedical Engineers.
Let’s take a quick look at the job-profile of these experts! They apply the knowledge and methodology of Engineering, Mathematics Physics, Physical Chemistry and Materials Science to problems in Biology and the treatment and prevention of human disease. To work in Australia registering or obtaining a license may be required for the aspirants.
Biomedical Engineers may work in different settings, depending on their job profile some may work in hospitals or clinics where different therapy occurs while others may work in laboratories conducting research whereas a large number of Biomedical Engineers may work in different manufacturing settings where they design biomedical engineering products. Additionally, these professionals may also join commercial offices and support business decisions therein.
- Analytical Expertise: These professionals must be rather sharp at analyzing the needs of the patients and customers in order to design and come up with appropriate solutions.
- Communication Expertise: given the fact that these professionals very often work with patients and at times with medical scientists and other engineers, they must be able to communicate quite well, and exchange views without any difficulties whatsoever.
- Listening Expertise: It is essential that the expert is a good listener as most of the time these professionals work in teams and gather inputs from therapists, patients, physicians, and business professionals. They must be efficient enough to seek ideas from others and successfully incorporate them into the problem-solving process.
- Math Expertise: The subject is an essential part of Biomedical Engineering. These specialists use the principles of calculus and other advanced topics for analysis, design, and troubleshooting.
- Problem-solving Expertise: Biomedical Engineers generally deal with and solve problems in complex biological systems
It is likely that in future the demand of Biomedical Engineers will increase in Australia because with the change in lifestyle, hectic work schedules, and ageing generation, the demand for different biomedical devices and procedure, will head north. Additionally, the common people no-a-days have become more informed and active about medical advances. A large number of people are seeking biomedical solutions for various health problems for themselves.
Fast changes in technology will change what Biomedical Engineers are capable of doing and this will create new avenues for the professionals. Thus, the situation will be favorable for the professionals increasing their demand extensively.
- Design medical monitoring, diagnostic and therapeutic equipments.
- Set up and maintain medical equipments and state equipments for particular objects.
- Test the safety and efficiency of equipments and plan data processing services and the development of associated computing schemes.
- Scrutinize new medical procedures to predict results and take part in medical procedures where biomedical skills are needed.
- Design and deliver well-organized technology to help individuals with physical disability.
- Examine and design prosthetic and orthotic tools.
For skilled Biomedical Engineers from overseas joining the Australian workforce may be a boon and a good decision, in terms of their professional and personal growth. If you are one of the trained Biomedical Engineers and inspired with overseas ambitions, it’s high time you took concrete steps to take your career to great heights. Australia beckons you!