Doctors and healthcare workers are an integral component of Canada’s healthcare system. Canada is experiencing an acute shortage of doctors, surgeons, and internationally trained nurses. If you are a doctor with considerable experience in your domain, now is a fantastic opportunity to start your PR visa process. The average salary in Canada for doctors is exceptionally high, making it the best place for physicians to prosper in their careers.
The government of Canada offers plenty of immigration options to healthcare workers who want to settle in Canada. This article will explore how physicians can move to Canada and become part of its dynamic healthcare workforce.
Why move to Canada as a Doctor?
Internationally trained doctors have a massive demand in Canada. The following points explain why it’s worth immigrating to Canada as a doctor:
- Canada has a severe shortage of trained doctors. Estimates show that between 2021 and 2031, around 40% of the job vacancies in the healthcare industry may remain vacant even if Canada welcomes more doctors from abroad.
- Doctors and healthcare workers have impressive salaries and wage structures in Canada. The median salary for physicians in Canada is $216,833 per year. On the contrary, doctors and surgeons have an annual salary of $273, 510.
- There is a high demand for doctors in all provinces in Canada, so you can move anywhere to start your career as a doctor.
How to start your career as a doctor in Canada?
Canada depends extensively on foreign-trained doctors to keep its healthcare system afloat. However, doctors who have completed their graduation outside Canada must apply for a valid Canada work visa and a license from the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) to practice their profession in Canada. Acquiring a permit involves clearing a knowledge test and enrolling with a college of physicians and surgeons in your province.
In 2021, the Medical Council of Canada removed the MCCQE II test- and since then, foreign doctors only need to pass the LMCC test.
To qualify for the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada process, you must:
- Have completed graduation from a medical school accepted by the World Directory of Medical Schools.
- Get all your credentials assessed by MCC to prove they are equivalent to Canadian standards.
- Pass the MCCQE-I examination that evaluates your knowledge of medicines and ability to make medical decisions.
- Completed at least one year of professional training in your home country.
- Pay the LMCC application fee.
In-demand jobs in Canada 2023 for Doctors
As per the most recent data from provincial and territorial governments, here are some of the most demanding jobs in Canada for doctors:
- NOC 31100: Specialists in Clinical and Laboratory Medicine
- NOC 31101: Specialists in surgery
- NOC 31102: General practitioners and family physicians