Here’s a good news report for skilled Canada immigration inspired Registered Nurses and Registered Psychiatric Nurses! They are wanted in Canada under the FSW Program 2014 even as they can successfully file a petition for a Skilled Worker Visa, via the NOC 3012.
These professionals provide direct nursing care to patients, deliver health education schemes, and proffer consultative services related to the issues applicable to the practice of nursing. They are hired in a variety of settings, and this covers hospitals, nursing homes, extended care facilities; rehabilitation centers, doctors’ workplaces, clinics, community groups, firms & private homes. They may also be self-employed.
With the increase in the nation’s senior citizens’ population, the demand for these professionals has increased significantly. The said demand is likely to continue in the backdrop of the fact that a large number of professionals are either retiring or has been promoted to higher positions.
Community health nurse
Critical care nurse
Emergency care nurse
Intensive care nurse
Occupational health nurse
Private duty nurse
Public health nurse
Registered nurse (R.N.)
Registered Psychiatric Nurse (R.P.N.)
Registered Nurses specialize in various areas; for example, surgery, obstetrics care, psychiatric care, critical care, pediatrics, geriatrics, community health, occupational health, emergency care, rehabilitation, oncology, etc.
- They assess patients to identify suitable nursing interventions.
- They work together with the members of an interdisciplinary health team to plan, put into practice, synchronize and weigh-up patient care in consultation with the patients & their family members.
- They manage medications and treatments as given by a physician.
- They keep an eye on, assess, address, document and report symptoms and development in patients’ conditions. They also work or check medical apparatus.
- They assist in surgery and additional medical processes. They also supervise licensed practical nurses and other nursing staff.
- They develop and execute discharge planning process on admission of patients.
- They teach and advise patients and their families on health-related issues in association with other healthcare providers.
- They give nursing care, supportive counseling and life skills programming to patients in psychiatric hospitals, mental health clinics, long-term care facilities, and community-based settings.
- Nursing Consultants provide consultative services to establishments, associations and healthcare groups related to issues and concerns pertinent to the nursing profession and nursing practice.
- Nursing Researchers engaged in research goings-on related to nursing are self-employed or are employed by hospitals, public and private organizations & governments.
- Clinical Nurses offer leadership, advice and counsel on the provision of research-based care for specific patient groups within the care of particular healthcare bodies.
Key Professional Requirements
- Conclusion of two or a three years university/college or any other sanctioned registered nursing program is required.
- Added academic training or experience is required to focus on a specific area of nursing.
- A master’s or doctoral degree in nursing is usually required for clinical nurse specialists, clinical nurses, nursing advisors & nursing researchers.
- Registration with a regulatory organization is required in every Canadian province & territory.
Registered Psychiatric Nurses
- Completion of two or a three year psychiatric nursing program is required from recognized university/college or any other registered nursing institute.
- Registration with a regulatory body is required in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia (BC), and the Yukon.