As a determined nation to fight the deadly spread of COVID-19, Canada has put in efforts to control the spread and support people in need. It has announced – The new Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) for those who are sick, quarantined, or in directed self-isolation.
Under CERB, the Canadian government has committed to provide taxable benefit of $2000 a month for up to four months to the following:
• Workers who are deprived of paid leaves or do not have any source of income as it was must for them to stop working considering the Coronavirus outbreak
• Sick and quarantined workers and those who are taking care of someone who is suffering from COVID -19
• Working parents who are homebound due to the pandemic and are unable to pay for their children’s sickness or additional care due to school and daycare closures
• Workers who are employed but are not being paid due to insufficient work and their employer has asked them to abstain from coming to work
• Individuals who would not be eligible for Employment Insurance such as wage earners and self-employed individuals including the contract workers
Further, it has improved access to Employment Insurance sickness benefits by waiving off the requirement to provide a medical certificate to access EI sickness benefits for sick, quarantined and self-isolated (as directed) individuals.
Realizing the immediate needs of the people who are being affected by the unfortunate situation, Canadian Government is setting an example by taking care of each and every section of society and taking effective and immediate decisions to safeguard them.