First Thing to Do After Becoming a PR in Canada!

After gaining the PR Status in Canada, it is mandatory that the migrant must apply for the following:

  • A Permanent Resident Card: once acquiring the status of a Permanent Resident in Canada, you become eligible to get a Permanent Resident Card, which would be provided to you, free of cost. It is a wallet sized card that is essential for all the migrants living as Permanent residents in Canada (every country has its own mandates). It expires after every 5 years.
  • SIN Card: SIN stands for Social Insurance Number and is required to work in Canada. So you are required to apply for the same as soon as possible in order to start your professional career. Ensure that you have a PR Card and a confirmation of PR and Visa counterfoil before applying for a SIN Card. Also make sure that you have all the documentation required to apply for the card. Consult an Immigration veteran to know more about it.*Applicants can apply for a SIN Card at any Service Canada Center.
    *(Never reveal your SIN Card Number to anyone!)
  • The Health Card: it allows access to the health care facilities provided by the Canadian government. As a PR, you are eligible for various health care facilities. Everyone must have their own health cards, including all your family members. Certain services are not covered in Health care and for that it is advised to take a Private Health Card!

For other important documents, IDs and paperwork required after landing in Canada, consult an Immigration and Visa guide now!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* indicates required field