Migrate to Canada, Excel In Your Career!

The ‘Land of Milk and Honey’ is looking for foreign workers, and skilled professionals to grow its economy and workforce. Its labor market is competitive and one of the best and easiest ways to enter the country is to look for an opportunity in an occupation currently in shortage in Canada.

Every year, approximately 180,000 foreign workers enter the nation as a temporary resident. Visa classification for international workers can be done on the following basis:

Canadian Experience Class–For applicants with Canadian work experience or who have graduated from the Canadian education institution or have recently worked in the country.

Temporary Foreign Worker Programme for skilled workers and highly trained and experienced professionals.

Provincial Nominee Programme (PNP) is for those who have been sponsored or nominated by a Canadian province or territory.

International Experience Canada Programme–It is the working holiday visa there is also options available for investors and self employed professionals.

Just a year old Express Entry system is the most popular way of selecting applicants.

How is it like working and living in Canada?

Cost of Living: The cost of living in the country is quite reasonable and varies depending on the region and the city applicant intends to live in.

Medical Facilities: Country’s healthcare system, known as medicare varies across the country’s provinces and territories. Permanent residents and its citizens are eligible to claim the insurance which are paid through annual taxes. If you are working in the country, your employer will ensure that you have a valid health insurance. If you do not have an employer sponsored health insurance, make sure that you have a private health insurance, otherwise you might not be able to cover your medical bills.

Working Hours: Like the UK and European nations, the working hours in the Maple Leaf Country is fixed to eight hours a day (Monday to Friday) in a week. The number of hours may go up to 40 hours.

Holidays: Across various provinces and territories statutory holidays varies but at the national level there are nine holidays. Annually, applicants are liable for two weeks paid holidays. The number may go up to three years once you have worked with your employer for at least six years in continuation.

Tax Rate: Foreign workers have to follow annual income tax rate, although special exemption is given to fresh entrants for their first year in the country.  Tax rate varies depending on the province which may be 15% to 33% depending on your annual income.


Maple Leaf Country is a bilingual country with two official languages, i.e., English and French. While looking for an opportunity it is not mandatory to have knowledge of both the languages but it’s an added advantage.

If you intend to migrate to Canada for a longer period, say, for four years or more than it, you must apply for Permanent Residency (PR). To qualify for PR, you must meet a certain eligibility criteria based on your age, experience, education, arranged job, language skills, and skills.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* indicates required field