Amongst other identity proofs, Social Security Number or SSN forms one of the most critical aspects for a person residing in US. The first thing that a person needs to do is to apply for SSN after entering the US premises. Overseas applicants who have gained the right to endeavor from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can file application to get a Social Security Number. It is mandatory for the person to have all the legal documents handy with him, including proof of his legal immigration status, work permit, age proof, and your identity proof.
SSN is a social insurance program, which gains its funds from payroll taxes. These funds are then utilized for plenty of welfare programs and are paid out in accordance with the time period as to how long that person has donated to Social Security. Here are some of the steps that you need to follow while applying for the same:
- An application form needs to be filled (Form SS-5)
- Show the documents required by the department.
- Take these form and documents to Social Security department
- Once the procedure would be approved by the office, your card would be mailed to you.
Other such documents include:
- Driver’s license: It is the de facto ID card for adults. It is essential to keep this document handy all the time, especially when are driving a vehicle. If the person doesn’t have a driving license, then photo based identification is given out to the applicants.
- Passport: US passports are given by the U.S. Department of State. It is mandatory to provide all the legal documents required for the same.
- Department of Defense Identification Card: people who hold connection with Military or work with the Department of Defense are given this card.
Other important document include Certificate of U.S. Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization, Nexus Card, and Voter’s registration card, to name a few. Consult an Immigration expert to get more info on your identity status.