In an important development, the Canadian Ontario Immigrant Nominee Programme (OINP) has reportedly reopened its Masters Graduate and PhD Graduate categories on January 29. Hence, if you are planning to move under the plan, go for the kill, lest you miss the boat!
The streams that come under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Programme International Student Category function on a first-come, first-served ground even as these typically reach their application ceiling rather speedily. It was reportedly the case with the Masters Graduate Class, which hit its application intake ceiling inside just a few hours of becoming available again. But, the PhD Graduate Stream continues to be available to fresh applications presently.
Since none of these streams is duly allied with the Canadian Federal Express-Entry System, these are viewed as ‘base’ classes. A successful candidate, who gets a provincial nomination via either of these classes, can afterwards submit an application for the Permanent Residence (PR) status to the concerned organization–namely, the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada–which manages the rest of the procedure.
Please note that there is no need whatsoever of an employment offer for either of the said classes. The PhD Graduate class targets those who have done graduation from a Doctoral level scheme at a university in Ontario, while the students who have done graduation from a Masters-level Scheme in the province can present a petition under the Masters Graduate Class.
OINP International Student Category
It targets the overseas graduates keen to become economically well set in the region.
It is available to the graduates–both with and without an offer of employment in the province. The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Programme International Students Category has these three classes, namely, the International Student with a Job Offer Stream, International Student – Master’s Graduate Stream, and International Student – PhD Graduate Stream.
International Student with a Job Offer Stream
To get a nomination certificate under the category, it is required that both the recruiter and the international student present a petition, to illustrate that the different terms & conditions of eligibility are fulfilled. Qualified recruiters have to first present a Pre-screen Application to the OINP to have the position they want to occupy sanctioned. In case the OINP approves the petition, the would-be nominee (the international student the recruiter is interested to draft), must present a Nominee Application, inside a period of 60 days of the authorization of the Pre-screen Application.
Major Minimum Requirements
International students having a sanctioned employment offer from a local recruiter/firm are entitled to submit an application under the stream, in case they:
- Have either graduated from, or have fulfilled the different terms & conditions of a full-time degree or diploma scheme, at a qualified publicly-funded college or university of Canada.
- The plan of study must have duration of not less than two years, OR it must be a one-year post-graduate certificate plan, which entails either an earlier diploma or degree.
- The preceding diploma or degree may have been gained outside the nation.
- Have successfully done not less than 50% of their studies in the Maple Leaf Country.
- Have acquired a ratified permanent, full-time employment offer in a skilled profession (NOC levels 0, A, or B).
- The offer of job must fulfill the entry-level income levels in the province for the specific line-of-work.
Important: It is not compulsory that the job is from the similar domain as the diploma or degree.
International Student – Master’s Graduate Stream
It proffers the students who have graduated with a Master’s Degree from a qualified publicly backed university in the province a chance to move to Ontario, on a permanent basis, minus the condition of an employment offer.
Major Minimum Requirements
With a view to be qualified for the stream, the candidates must, among others:
- Plan to reside and do a job in Ontario, on a permanent basis.
- Have done graduation from an existing Master’s Plan at a qualified publicly sponsored university in the province.
- The plan of study must have been for a period of not less than 1 year, and must have been done on a full-time ground.
- Present the petition inside two years of the date on which the Master’s Degree was offered.
- Be residing in the province with lawful standing OR living outside of the nation. Candidates presently residing in the Maple Leaf Country, but outside of the limits of Ontario, do not make the cut.
- Illustrate a high language skill level in either English or French of the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 or beyond in every 4 competencies.
- Be in a position to demonstrate a bare minimum level of savings and/or earnings with a view to support themselves and those who are dependent on them.
- Validate residence in Ontario for not less than 1 of the last 2 years before the date of petition.
- Not plan to continue further academic studies in the province.
International Student – PhD Graduate Stream
It provides the students who have successfully graduated from a PhD Plan at an eligible publicly subsidized university in Ontario with a chance to move to the region on a permanent basis, minus the necessity of an offer of employment.
Major Minimum Requirements
Under the plan, the candidates must, among others:
- Have successfully fulfilled every PhD programme condition at a qualified publicly-subsidized university in the province.
- Not less than 2 years of PhD studies must have been done at the Ontario University.
- Present the petition inside 2 years of the date on which the PhD was given.
- Validate residence in Ontario for a minimum of 1 of the last 2 years before the submission date of the petition.
- Plan to reside and do a job in the province.
- Have legal standing in case staying in the Maple Leaf Country when the petition is submitted.
Please note: there is no requirement on the part of the candidates to the scheme to be physically present in the nation when the petition is made.