Australia is one of the prosperous nations in the world which invites many foreign skilled migrant to come and work in the nation. The main reason behind this being that the nation is short of skilled labor in certain occupations. To cater to this, the Government of Australia has come about with the ANZSCO list which caters to all the occupations which are in-demand for foreign professionals.
The ANZSCO list contains two lists known as Schedule 3 and Schedule 4. For any foreigner to live and work in Australia, he has to ensure that his profession falls in either of the two categories. For those applicants with occupations falling in Schedule 3 have to apply through the General Skilled Migrant program. Here, the applicant has to score a minimum of 120 points. The Schedule 4 occupations have to be applied for via the Sponsored (State Nomination/Blood Relation) or under Regional Programs with 100 points. Since the occupation of Geotechnical Engineer falls in both Schedule 3 and Schedule 4, the applicant has an option to apply for immigration through any of the programs.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Deciding on the methods for construction, standards pertaining to quality and the materials, outlining and interpretation of specifications, plans, drawings and procedures.
- Estimating the costs by examining the architectural and engineering drawings and specifications which would be tools for the budgetary controls.
- Collecting samples of soil and rock from different depths and testing them for strength and compressibility and other factors which tend to impact the behavior of soil and rock.
- Analyzing the pattern for the present and the future travel flow considering the increase in population and the change in needs.
- Studying the static and dynamic loads in structural systems.
Apart from the above, there are additional responsibilities which the professional would be expected to perform.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher education.
- In some cases, both qualification as well as relevant experience is required to qualify for the same.
- On the job training might be required in specific cases.
If you are a geotechnical engineer intending to immigrate to Australia for better opportunities, write to us at [email protected] to know more on the same.