The demand of dental hygienists and dental therapists has grown considerably since last few years. This is because of the growing awareness amongst people about oral hygiene and dental care. This is the reason that Dental hygienist has been included in the list of twenty nine occupations introduced by Citizenship and Immigration of Canada under which an applicant can apply for immigration and permanent resident status in Canada .
Qualifying Criteria for immigration to Canada
- They could be fully fledged Dentists who go onto perform related duties. They may have completed their college degree in this subject which may range from one to two years. Or they must have a degree of completion of course in dental hygiene under some recognized governing board of their province.
- They must have an experience of at least one year as Dental Hygienists & Dental Therapists.
- They must have an experience of additional (besides one year as mentioned in three above) two to three years in other positions; overall experience (post qualification) of two to four years.
Duties and Responsibilities
Dental hygienists are required perform the following tasks:
- They asses the patient’s problem and conduct the necessary dental assessment.
- They consult with other dentists in relation with patient’s care.
- They observe the patient’s dental problems.
- They also counsel the patients on various oral hygiene issues.
- They help in the cleaning of the gums of the patient to avoid any gum diseases.
- To prevent any decay in tooth or roots, they remove stains or any solid material deposited in teeth.
- They also perform the fluoride treatment if required.
- If required, they take X-rays of the patient and also develop its reports.
- Under the instruction of the dentist, they may even be asked to carry out orthodontic procedures.
- They may be asked to supervise the dental assistants as well.
Dental therapists are required to perform some/all of the following tasks:
- They conduct the dental assessments of the patient.
- They consult with the dentists on various issues in relation to patient’s care.
- They note down the dental observations.
- They could be asked to take X-rays of the patient and also develop its reports.
- They also perform the task of removing stains or any solid deposits from tooth.
- They perform the treatment of applying fluoride.
- They also counsel the patient on oral hygiene to avoid any dental problem.
- They can even be asked to do the supervision of the work of dental assistants.
- They also perform basic tasks such as drilling and filling the cavities, extracting teeth.
Apart from these, there can be other duties which can be expected from the professionals to perform. If you are either a Dental Hygienists or Dental Therapists who fulfill the above requirements and willing to migrate to Canada, you can write to us at [email protected] to know more!