Canada is currently accepting and processing work permit applications. However, one can expect delays due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic crisis and the travel guidelines from certain countries.
It comes as no surprise to see that Canada is the most popular immigration destination in the world. Every year, the country receives thousands of work permit applications. Working in Canada can be an excellent choice for skilled professionals seeking ways to advance in their careers. Additionally, Canadian companies also offer high wages, great employment perks, and lots of job opportunities.
The processing time for Canadian work permits varies from case to case. However, the most critical factor determining the length of your processing time is the country you are a citizen of and from where you are applying- inside or outside Canada.
What do you need to know about work permits?
Foreign nationals need a work permit to work in Canada. People need to apply for a work permit after getting a job offer from a Canadian employer. The employer must obtain a Labor Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada, which acts as a permit to recruit a foreign national for a job position with no local talent.
There are two types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits.
Canada Openwork permit allows an individual to work for any employer in Canada. A worker may apply for an open work permit outside of Canada, inside Canada, or at a Canadian port of entry.
An employer-specific work permit to Canada allows you to work for a specific employer only. The employer-specific work permit includes the following information:
- the name of the employer you can work for
- how long you can work
- the location where you can work (if applicable)
Eligibility requirements to apply for a Canada work permit
- provide sufficient proof to the visa officer that you will leave Canada after the expiry of your work permit;
- show that you have enough funds to take care of yourself and your family members in Canada.
- Obey the law and have no record of criminal activity;
- be in good health;
- not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions;
- Give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.
What is the processing time?
The most commonly asked question is: how long does it take to process my work permit application? The answer is simple- it depends on your case and how straightforward or complicated your file is. Depending on which country you apply from, it might take up to 38 weeks to get your application processed. Indian nationals can get the decision within 22-27 weeks from the date of application.
For more information you can contact our immigration experts at 8595338595 or [email protected]