Migrate to Live and Work as a Teacher in Canada

Migrate to Live and Work as a Teacher in Canada

If you a trained teacher and want to permanently migrate to Canada, then here’s an excellent chance for you to realize your Canadian dream. In this article, we will talk about what you need to do to migrate as a teacher in Canada, and the steps you can take on the path of becoming a registered teacher in the maple leaf country.

Below are some steps you can take to work as a teacher in Canada:

  • Learn about your NOC code and job level on the CIC website;
  • Select any Canadian province or territory where you wish to migrate;
  • Know about the local educational requirements for teachers in that specific province. You should learn about the following areas:
    • Educational degree requirements;
    • Provincial teaching certificate;
    • Whether you are certified to teach a second language like English or French;
    • Professional associations with any regional teachers association, and
    • Reference letters from previous employers.
  • Getting a positive assessment of your educational credential is equally important
  • A job offer from a Canadian institution will boost your points and help you migrate smoothly.

The Canadian government defines teachers under the following categories:

  • Supply teacher;
  • ELS teacher;
  • Biology teacher; and
  • Librarian
  • Teaching assistant;
  • Remedial aid;
  • Educational resource assistant; and
  • Teaching aid

The official website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has a range of NOC codes that you can check and select based on your occupation.

You can also choose to apply under the Express Entry System. The processing time depends on the country you are applying from. However, in most cases, the processing time may range between four months to eight months.

Choosing the Right Province:

While planning your Canada immigration, it is imperative to know which province you plan to immigrate to. Each province in Canada is different in terms of immigration criteria, job requirements, credential assessment, etc. You must know which province has better teaching opportunities for you while offering you a great lifestyle. Different provinces in Canada also have their educational boards, so ensure you have sufficient information to make the right decision.

One of the most common ways to immigrate to Canada as a teacher is under the Skilled Worker Stream, a highly sought-after program managed by the Express Entry system.

Prospective teaching applicants can also try their luck via provincial nomination programs. Having a nomination from any Canadian province can guarantee your Canadian immigration. A provincial nomination also adds 600 points over your existing CRS points, which is pivotal to get an invitation to apply from the federal government.

Get in touch with a teaching board

Canada has various teaching boards, such as the College of Teachers or the Canadian School Boards Association (CSBA), representing members from provincial boards and allowing teachers to work in Canada. For example- the Ontario College of Teachers permits eligible teachers to work in public-funded schools in the province. The Teacher Regulation Branch is responsible for regulating the teaching profession in British Columbia. These organizations decide who can teach in the region with strict guidelines.

You must meet individual requirements to be certified by the college. Below are the most common conditions:

  • Highest level of education completed; higher than high school diploma preferred
  • Work experience shows at least one full year of employment that falls into one of the following occupational categories: managerial, professional, or technical/skilled
  • Fluent in French and English (both spoken in Canada)
  • Overall adaptability (usually tested through an assessment quiz)
  • The current state of employment (or offer)

It is worth noting that if you haven’t completed any education program, then you cannot qualify for the teaching certificate.

However, you can always upgrade your skills by enrolling in teaching courses offered by many Canadian universities.

Documents to apply for a teaching position in Canada

  • A Registration Form can be downloaded from the Education Institute site for Canada’s area or domain.
  • Proof of identity (passport, ID card, or other forms of identification proof)
  • Copies of your academic transcripts and qualifications
  • Canadian criminal record check
  • Copy of language test results- the tests generally include the results of IELTS and CELPIP. The CELPIP test can only be taken in Canada.

Your application will process within 120 days after submitting all relevant documents to the concerned department.

Migrate as a Teacher in Canada

 With over 26 years of industry leading experience, our team of expert immigration consultants will create the best road map for you. We will happily address all your doubts or answer your questions related to application process and make sure all documents are submitted correctly and timely.

So, don’t wait any further. Call us today and get started with your Canada immigration dream.

For more information, you can connect with us on 8595338595 or [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* indicates required field